"For years I have used olive oil in the kitchen and in the bathroom because my mother did and her mother did before her. Being from Italy, I can see how generations before us used olive oil. I have also added other oils to my pantry and medicinal cabinet over the years, including sesame oil, grapeseed oil and sweet almond oil. I've done quite a bit of research and experimentation and have come to the conclusion that coconut oil not only tastes great, but the health benefits are amazing. Not just a “good” saturated fat, coconut oil is an exceptional healing agent as well. More than ninety percent of coconut oil consists of saturated fats."
Jacqueline Gelardi, Owner Smart-N-Healthy
Coconut oil has been a beauty staple for millennia. It is a powerful destroyer of all kinds of microbes, from viruses to bacteria to protozoa. Our skin is our largest organ and what we put on our skin is readily absorbed internally so it only makes good sense to feed our skin with products we get from nature. This is the reason Smart-N-Healthy only uses organic products and especially coconut oil. Coconut oil is anti-aging; it is moisturizing to the skin and strengthens our connective tissue thus reducing fine lines and wrinkles, giving us a clear and radiant complexion. Our soaps and lotions feed your skin, not harm your skin. We absorb over five pounds of chemicals just by our makeup alone each year! At Smart-N-Healthy we vow to never use harmful chemicals in our products!
Some reasons you may love coconut oil:
1. Saturated fatty acids: Most of them are medium chain triglycerides, which are supposed to assimilate well in the body’s systems. Lauric acid is the chief contributor, representing more than forty percent of the total, followed by Capric acid, caprylic acid, myristic acid and palmitic.
2. Vitamin E, vitamin K and minerals such as iron.
3. Diabetes: This is one fat that diabetics can eat without fear. Not only does it not contribute to diabetes, but it helps regulate blood sugar, thus lessening the effects of the disease. Island people have consumed large amounts of coconut oil for many generations without ever encountering diabetes, but when they abandoned it for other foods and oils, the results were disastrous.
4. Bone and Dental Health: Coconut oil improves calcium and magnesium absorption in the body, which in turn is greatly beneficial to dental and bone health. The combined increased calcium and magnesium absorption are of great benefit to middle-aged women who may become afflicted with osteoporosis.
5. Healing Wounds: Coconut Oil has been used for wound healing for decades. It has the ability to accelerate re-epithelialization, improve antioxidant enzyme activity, and stimulate higher collagen for repair tissue. Also speed up burn wound recovery.
6. Hair Loss: Coconut oil is one of the best natural nutrients for your hair. It helps in healthy growth of hair and gives your hair
a shiny quality. It is an excellent conditioner and helps the re-growth process of damaged hair.
7. Heart diseases: The saturated fats present in coconut oil are not harmful as you commonly find in vegetable oils. Coconut oil does not lead to increase in LDL levels, and it reduces the incidence of injury and damage to arteries and therefore helps in preventing atherosclerosis.
8. Skin care: Coconut oil also helps in treating various skin problems including psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and other skin infections. It also delays the appearance of wrinkles and sagging of skin. Coconut oil also helps in preventing premature aging and degenerative diseases due to its well-known antioxidant properties.
9. Weight loss: Coconut oil is very useful for weight loss. It helps in healthy functioning of the thyroid and endocrine system. It increases the body’s metabolic rate by removing stress on the pancreas, because of that burning more energy help obese people lose weight.
10. Immunity: Coconut oil is also good for the immune system. It strengthens the immune system because it contains antimicrobial lipids, lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid which have antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties. Coconut oil helps fight harmful bacteria like listeria monocytogenes and helicobacter pylori.
11. Candida: Coconut has been shown to prevent and even cure candida. It provides relief from the inflammation caused by candida.
12. Kidney: Coconut oil helps in preventing kidney and gall bladder diseases. It also helps to dissolve kidney stones.
13. Dental care: Calcium is an important component of our teeth. Since coconut oil facilitates absorption of calcium by the body, it helps in developing strong teeth. Coconut oil also stops tooth decay.
14. Coconut oil and Alzheimer’s disease: The research conducted by Dr. Newport states that coconut oil is useful in treating Alzheimer’s disease.